1/2 cup butter
2/3 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 zest lemon
1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup milk
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup light corn syrup
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1. Cream butter
2. Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy
3. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition until blended
4. Combine vanilla flavoring with lemon zest and add to milk
5. Combine flour, baking powder and salt
6. Add dry mixture to creamed mixture, alternating with milk (add 1/3 dry mixture, 1/2 milk, then another 1/3 dry mixture, last milk and finally the last 1/3 dry mixture) blending after each addition.
7. Fill muffin papers and bake at 350 for 15-17 minutes. Check after 12 minutes as ovens vary.
1. Combine sugar, water and corn syrup in a medium sauce pan. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves.
2. Increase heat and cook, without stirring, until syrup is dark and amber, being careful not to let burn.
3. Wash sides with a wet pastry brush occasionally and swirl pan around, still not stirring (This process should take about 10 minutes).
4. Remove from heat and add whipping cream. Be careful of the steam as mixture will bubble vigorously.
5. Return to a low heat and stir until pieces dissolve and is smooth.
6. Cool to room temperature. Excellent topping for ice cream as well